The 10 Principles of 99Rise
99Rise is a social movement organization working to win real democracy and progressive change in the United States through nonviolent civil resistance. Our first fight is to win fundamental reform that ends the corruption of big money in politics and establishes political equality regardless of wealth. As an organization and community, 99Rise is founded on 10 Principles which are its primary governing force. These Principles are the defining agreements that unite us and provide for the maximum freedom and creativity of all members while ensuring that our individual efforts work in harmony to advance our common struggle. They are the following:
1. Nonviolence: We are a nonviolent movement and we maintain nonviolent discipline, as defined by the 99Rise Statement of Nonviolence, in all our actions.
2. Strategic Unity: We pursue the goal of Constitutional and federal legislative reforms that establish political equality regardless of wealth by mobilizing a critical mass of active public support through campaigns of escalating nonviolent action. In all our efforts, we act within the basic plan of the 99Rise Grand Strategy.
3. Common Message: In all our communications as a movement, we use a shared frame of popular values, vision, and narrative consistent with that of the 99Rise Declaration of Purpose.
4. Decentralized Structure: Leadership is distributed throughout our organization and members and teams are autonomous in all matters & actions that are consistent with these 10 Principles and the 99Rise Constitution as a whole.
5. Democratic Cooperation: We practice democratic collaboration to maximize participation, effectiveness, and empowerment. We take collective responsibility to uphold the 10 Principles throughout our movement.
6. Inclusion: We welcome all who embrace these 10 Principles and work to create an empathetic & inclusive community in which everyone is affirmed and supported in developing as a leader, especially people of color, women, LGTBQ people, low income people, and others who are marginalized. We strive to overcome racism, sexism, class, homophobia, and all forms of oppression in the 99Rise community and our country.
7. Pluralism: We affirm that there are many different roles, organizations, and institutions that are important to our struggle and welcome partnership with any person or group that shares or may help to advance our goal and with whom we may work while upholding our Principles.
8. Leadership as Service: We affirm and respect leadership not as dominance or profitseeking but as an act of service and responsibility and a process of development and empowerment.
9. Voluntarism: 99Rise is primarily a volunteer, nonprofessional organization and any staff exist to provide essential support and direction to volunteer activity and are paid according to the ethic of voluntary simplicity.
10. Open Affiliation: We are an open movement. Any individual or group may affiliate with the name & symbols of 99Rise so long as their actions & statements as 99Rise are consistent with our Principles.